Weta Cave – The world’s most famous films were filmed here!
Weta Cave is a museum and tour facility located in the Miramar area of Wellington, New Zealand. It is operated by Weta Workshop, a world-renowned special effects and animation studio that has worked on numerous award-winning films, including “The Lord of the Rings” and “Avatar”.
Visitors to Weta Cave can take a behind-the-scenes tour of the studio and see the work that goes into creating the special effects and costumes for movies and television shows.
The tour includes a visit to the workshop where you can see props, weapons, and costumes from popular movies being created.
In addition to the tour, Weta Cave also has a retail store where you can purchase merchandise from your favorite movies and shows, as well as collectible figurines and art pieces created by the Weta Workshop team.
The museum is a must-visit for movie and special effects fans, offering a unique and immersive experience that showcases the creative and technical expertise of the Weta Workshop team.
If you’re visiting Wellington, be sure to add Weta Cave to your itinerary for a behind-the-scenes look at the world of movie-making magic.
How do i get there?
Weta Cave is located in Miramar, a suburb of Wellington, New Zealand. There are several ways to get to the museum:
- By Car: If you have your own vehicle, you can drive to Weta Cave. There is ample parking available on-site.
- Public Transportation: Weta Cave is easily accessible by bus from the city center. Take bus number 2, 3, or 18 from the central bus station to the stop at the corner of Miramar Ave and Park Rd. The museum is a short walk from the bus stop.
- Taxis and Rideshares: Taxis and rideshare services, such as Uber, are readily available in Wellington and can take you directly to the museum.
- Walking: If you’re staying in the city center, you can also walk to Weta Cave. It’s about a 30-minute walk from the central business district and takes you along the scenic waterfront.
Regardless of how you get there, Weta Cave is a must-visit for movie and special effects fans.
Plan your visit in advance to ensure you have enough time to take the tour, visit the retail store, and see all the amazing work that goes into creating the special effects and costumes for your favorite movies and TV shows.
What should i bring with me when i visit?
When visiting Weta Cave in New Zealand, there are a few things you should consider bringing with you:
- Camera: You’ll want to capture all the amazing sights and props you’ll see on the tour, so don’t forget your camera.
- Comfortable Shoes: The tour involves a lot of walking, so wear comfortable shoes.
- A Jacket: The temperature inside the workshop can be cool, so bring a jacket to keep warm.
- Cash or Card: If you want to purchase merchandise from the retail store, you’ll need either cash or a credit/debit card.
- An Open Mind: Weta Cave offers a unique and immersive experience, so be open to learning and exploring.
- Your Sense of Adventure: Get ready for an exciting and unforgettable journey through the world of movie-making magic!
- A Love for Movies: If you’re a fan of movies and special effects, this is the perfect place for you.
Overall, when visiting Weta Cave, be prepared to be amazed and entertained by the incredible work and creativity of the Weta Workshop team.
Whether you’re a die-hard fan of movie special effects or simply interested in the art and science behind it, you’re sure to have an unforgettable time at this incredible museum.
What famous movies where filmed at Weta Cave in New Zealand?
Weta Cave in New Zealand is the home of Weta Workshop, a world-renowned special effects and prop-making company.
Over the years, Weta Workshop has contributed to the creation of many popular and critically acclaimed movies, including:
- The Lord of the Rings trilogy (2001-2003)
- King Kong (2005)
- The Hobbit trilogy (2012-2014)
- Avatar (2009)
- District 9 (2009)
- The Adventures of Tintin (2011)
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)
- Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
- Ghost in the Shell (2017)
Weta Workshop has earned a reputation as one of the leading special effects studios in the world and is renowned for its attention to detail, creativity, and innovative techniques.
These award-winning films are a testament to the incredible talent and expertise of the Weta Workshop team. If you’re a fan of movie magic, a visit to Weta Cave is a must-see experience.
The opening hours vary depending on the day and time of year.
Typically, Weta Cave is open seven days a week, with the following hours:
- Monday to Friday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Saturday and Sunday: 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
It’s always a good idea to check the Weta Cave website or call ahead before visiting, as their hours may be subject to change, especially during holidays or special events.
Weta Cave offers guided tours of the workshop, where you can see the movie magic being made and learn about the creative process behind some of the world’s most popular movies.
The tours usually run for about 45 minutes, and tickets can be purchased on-site or in advance.